Learning various strategies and tactics of chess will help you in winning the game. This is not one of those games that you can win with one move. It has to be done with several calculated moves. Most of the time, you have to be mentally strong enough to outwit your opponent. Sometimes, you can win by implementing a strategy that you have decided upon before the game started. But if your opponent is really good, you might be forced to change your strategy. It all depends on how the game progresses. This is why you need to know more than one strategy or tactic when playing chess.
Common strategies and tactics when playing chess
But what exactly are tactics? It refers to the calculated moves that you plan to make in order to get a checkmate that will lead to your win. There are also tactics of chess that only intend to capture a piece from the opponent.
It is important for you to know a couple of these strategies and tactics so you will know your options while you are playing chess. It will allow you to take advantage of opening or mistakes that the opponent makes. Not only that, you can avoid the mistakes too.
Anyway, here are some of the common tactics of chess that you might want to learn.
- Forks – this is when you use knights to take two pieces from the opponent in one move.
- Fool’s Mate – this is known to be the fastest way for you to achieve a checkmate. This is done by taking advantage of some mistakes made by the opponent.
- Skewers – this involves forcing a valuable piece of the opponent to move so you can target a lesser valued piece.
- Pins – this literally means you will pin a piece of the opponent by using your rook, bishop, and queen.
These are only a few of the tactics and strategies that you can use to win a game of chess.
Tips to win a game of chess
Here are other tips that you can probably use while playing chess.
- Try to be flexible with your strategy. While it is okay to have a strategy in mind before the start of the game, it is always a good idea to be flexible enough to change it when needed.
- Focus on getting the valuable pieces but be careful with your own. Sometimes, we focus too much on the king or queen of the opponent that we fail to realise that we are losing our own in the process.
- Be in control of sacrifices. When playing, it is important for you to be okay with making sacrifices. However, you have to make sure that these sacrifices are planned – especially if you are forced to sacrifice a valuable piece.
- Familiarise yourself with important first moves. This will help you understand which of the common strategies will be used by your opponent. It will help you form your own strategy to win the game. For instance, the Sicilian Defense involves making a move that will help open up to various possibilities. There are also unusual openings that might confuse your opponent.
Knowing the various strategies and tactics of chess will help you end the game and win against your opponent. Make sure you know how to end with a checkmate.